From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [OT] pkgcore bikeshed (was Portage team)
Date: Mon, 13 Jan 2014 18:07:52
1 On Mon, 13 Jan 2014 15:46:59 +0100
2 Tom Wijsman <TomWij@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > On Mon, 13 Jan 2014 16:15:37 +0700
5 > "C. Bergström" <cbergstrom@×××××××××.com> wrote:
6 >
7 > > Long term the API to pkgcore could be beneficial, but
8 > > again I'm not sure it's a game changer for users.
9 >
10 > Long term, we should have an independent API backend that tools can
11 > query; not rewrite our tools every time users want to use them with a
12 > different package manager.
13
14 Not an API. APIs are bad. What we should have is a good set of
15 lightweight Unix-friendly command line tools. See, for example, the
16 "Scripting Commands" section of "man cave".
19 Ciaran McCreesh