From: Eitan Mosenkis <eitan@××××××××.net>
To: Gentoo SoC <gentoo-soc@l.g.o>, Gentoo Dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: [GSoC status] Web-based image builder
Date: Fri, 10 Jul 2009 18:47:18
1 According to my original time line, which I've largely ignored since I
2 started coding, I'm about a week ahead of schedule, though I've also
3 left out things that I'd planned on finishing by now and implemented
4 things . This is how my week went:
5 Sunday: Copied the client-side searching of available packages from
6 the mockup I did for my proposal
7 Monday: Made modifications to allow the frontend to function when the
8 package repositories that backend is using are not available to it;
9 wrote script for taking into account updates to package repositories;
10 made final changes to allow multiple backends to serve one frontend
11 Tuesday: Added a logo and favicon; began major restructuring of
12 configuration wizard to be object-oriented and provide a simple API
13 for defining configuration items/steps
14 Wednesday: Did most of the conversion of the searchable package
15 selection interface into a very configurable class available through
16 the frontend API
17 Thursday: Finished the package selection class, began separating the
18 code that bundles the final image from the code that builds it
19 Friday: Finished bundler separation in backend, added metadata for
20 better handling of frontend modules, changed system configuration file
21 to have default values and be easier to work with
22
23 To be done:
24 -Get Ingenue ready for deployment on a real server - check that
25 authentication is present wherever necessary, add administrative
26 functions and the capability to automatically clean up stale data
27 -Add more build options, as listed on the features list [0]
28 -Do some testing, preferably with real users on a testing server (get
29 a testing server up and running)
30
31 More distant:
32 -Spice up the frontend and add some documentation to it
33 -Create a live development ebuild for the project
34 -Have the project generate images containing itself to run as backend slaves
35
36 As always, feedback welcome.
37
38 [0] http://etherpad.com/BJkgXcMkwJ