From: Fabio Erculiani <lxnay@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] gdk-pixbuf-query-loaders usage in tree
Date: Sun, 09 Oct 2011 08:48:40
1 gdk-pixbuf-query-loaders has a long history of segfaults.
2 Not to blame anybody here, but still segfaults there can happen quite easily.
3
4 A nice example is:
5 export __GL_NO_DSO_FINALIZER=1
6 $ gdk-pixbuf-query-loaders
7 When nvidia.ko is in use.
8
9 The __GL_NO_DSO_FINALIZER is a hack that made buggy nvidia-drivers (or
10 buggy gl threads usage?) work.
11 The problem with our ebuilds is that everybody did something like this
12 (in pkg_postinst):
13
14 gdk-pixbuf-query-loaders > "${ROOT}usr/lib/gdk-pixbuf-2.0/2.10.0/loaders.cache"
15
16 1) exit status is not even considered
17 2) output redirection truncates the destination file as soon as the
18 executable is spawned
19
20 This is very bad, because in case of segfaults, loaders.cache is
21 totalled, resulting in gtk+ apps dying miserably.
22
23 Please don't do that, never ever. We don't live in a perfect world.
24
25 x11-libs/gdk-pixbuf got fixed already.
26
27 Others affected:
28 app-emulation/emul-linux-x86-gtklibs
29 gnome-base/librsvg