From: Fabian Groffen <grobian@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Underscores in USE flags
Date: Sat, 21 Sep 2019 07:34:22
1 On 21-09-2019 09:06:01 +0200, Michał Górny wrote:
2 > On Sat, 2019-09-21 at 08:43 +0200, Fabian Groffen wrote:
3 > > Why not teach our tools (equery, quse, etc.) to print these USE-flags
4 > > like Portage does? (looking them up to be valid expands)
5 > > Then users have nothing to be confused about (no distinction between
6 > > foo_bar and FOO="bar"), and new USE_EXPANDS cannot be
7 > > silently/accidentially introduced.
8 >
9 > I don't see how that solves the problem. More tools having distinct
10 > output don't change the fact that anyone with a bit of ebuild knowledge
11 > will say 'this looks like USE_EXPAND' while looking at it, independently
12 > of what some tools would say.
13
14 Well... someone with a bit of ebuild knowledge would see odd USE-flags.
15 USE_EXPAND is a (bad) hack, of having some USE-flags mean something
16 different, or resolve through something different, while in reality they
17 really don't do anything odd. In fact, sometimes users have to use
18 FOO="bar" (make.conf), while other times foo_bar needs to be used
19 (e.g. use.mask, or IUSE=).
20
21 Consistency would be nice, the real question is, what does USE_EXPAND
22 actually try to achieve, and can we fix it properly in the next EAPI,
23 such that repoman can also do the proper complaints about USE-flag
24 (and USE_EXPAND-flag) naming by then.
25
26 Back to the thread, the point is, these flags exist today, and renaming
27 flags is not something to be considered harmless. As much as the recent
28 renaming of lm_sensors to lm-sensors caused breakage (and still does,
29 apparently some tools keep caches, etc.) also renaming USE-flags goes by
30 problems, in particular for managed systems (Chef, Puppet). It's not a
31 matter of just fixing the name for a USE-flag. This is saying nothing
32 about whether or not we'd want to change the flag. It's about the
33 impact of the change, and whether that is worth it for the noble aim of
34 consistency or correctness. I believe this was the OPs point in this
35 thread.
36
37 Thanks,
38 Fabian