From: Ben Lutgens <lamer@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] this is my first...
Date: Wed, 19 Jun 2002 20:40:12
1 On Wed, Jun 19, 2002 at 11:16:08AM -0500, evodius wrote:
4 > hello, i'm an enthusiast and was all of a sudden having Problems! yes
5 > this letter is for some help if your willing. it would be much
6 > appreciated! i was searching your site for some kind of help guide and
7 > i didn't find one.
8 >
9 > So, heres the symptoms: when the grub loads the designated os's are
10 > present gentoo and windoze 2k. i choose the linux prompt and and the
11 > system reboots!! my roomate helped me and he's the real genius here.
12 > we could not get it werkin and was wondering if you could help. i
13 > desperatly want to learn linux and would like to be done with windoze.
14 > Please, will you help me?
15
16 I had this happen when I compiled an kernel for an athlon while sshed in to
17 a pentium machine (whoops) I was absolutely perplexed then I said "Doh! I
18 compiled for athlon but that box is a PII266!!"
19
20 Also it might be that your kernel image is b0rken some other way (but that
21 is not likely to cause a reboot) it should just say something to the effect
22 of "This is not a valid kernel"
23
24 Try booting the rescue/install cd, mount the filesystems, chroot, recompile
25 your kernel and take care that the config is correct, and try it again.
26
27 HTH
28 > Sincerly mel
31 Ben Lutgens Gentoo Developer
32
33 "I got a wife an kids too but you don't see me out here stealing imperial
34 droids do you?"