From: Marien Zwart <marienz@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Moving GCC-3.4 to stable on x86
Date: Thu, 01 Dec 2005 01:09:49
1 On Thu, 1 Dec 2005 01:53:25 +0100
2 Jakub Moc <jakub@g.o> wrote:
5 > 1.12.2005, 1:30:41, Marien Zwart wrote:
6 >
7 > > Not sure if everyone is aware of this, but most installed pythons link to
8 > > libstdc++.so. This is not a problem if you run the above revdep-rebuild (it
9 > > should catch it just fine). It is a problem if you get rid of gcc 3.3 before
10 > > installing libstdc++-v3 or running the revdep-rebuild, as it will leave you
11 > > with a broken python and therefore unable to emerge.
12 >
13 > Which returns us to the question why don't we build python with nocxx so that
14 > we could avoid this major PITA.
15
16 Actually I'm looking into that. According to the information I have
17 found on the python-dev list and in python's documentation the libstdc++
18 link is not needed, but a dev asked a python herd member for it, and
19 therefore the link was added. Haven't "caught" that dev yet, so at the
20 moment I don't know why that link is there. If someone on this list
21 knows the reason it was added, please enlighten me.
24 Marien.
25 --
26 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list