From: Jason Stubbs <jstubbs@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] New global USE flag: logrotate
Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2005 18:06:30
1 On Saturday 30 April 2005 02:44, Robin H. Johnson wrote:
2 > On Fri, Apr 29, 2005 at 09:36:54AM +0900, Jason Stubbs wrote:
3 > > What about the unused `ebuild [ebuild] config`? Isn't that the perfect
4 > > place for this sort of stuff? The only package that I know that uses this
5 > > feature is mysql. There are way more possibilities.
6 >
7 > No, ebuild config shouldn't be abused like this. Say I have an existing
8 > install of mysql, and the package maintainer puts in an updated
9 > logrotate.d file. Running 'ebuild mysql.ebuild config' is meant for NEW
10 > installations only, and it doesn't enable me to take advantage of
11 > CONFIG_PROTECT. I've seen a package where running the config phase when
12 > the package is already set up blows away your existing config. It gives
13 > you a warning first, but how would I then get an updated logrotate.d
14 > file?
15
16 I can't see how you can call it abuse. There's no requirement that the config
17 phase be non-interactive. On the contrary, it *should* be interactive so that
18 the user is notified about and has control over what can be done.
19
20 > I see only two viable options.
21 > - Unconditional, use INSTALL_MASK, no RDEPEND on logrotate
22 > - Conditional on USE=logrotate
23 >
24 > The first one is what is generally used in the tree so far.
25
26 I don't really mind what's done. I'm just suggesting that config can be used
27 for a lot more than what it is at the moment, including being a third option
28 in the above list. My preferred option would be INSTALL_MASK.
29
30 Regards,
31 Jason Stubbs