From: Spider <spider@g.o>
To: gentoo-user <gentoo-user@g.o>
Cc: "Andreas Lööw" <andreas@×××××××××××.net>, gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@g.o>, chinstrap-users@×××××××××××.net
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Announcing project Chinstrap
Date: Sat, 22 Nov 2003 22:07:07
1 The amazing marvellous always late project is now ready to be announced!
2
3 http://chinstrap.alternating.net/
6 What is it:
7 It started as an automated regression test of the tree, I wanted to
8 see how much worked and didn't. From there it moved on to provide GRP
9 builds for fast install, Got a webpage and an ftp, and suddenly had a
10 pretty nice infrastructure in place with mailinglists and all.
11
12 Here's what it is :
13 Testing, Beta, Trial, premade binaries of common tools in a Gentoo
14 installation.
15
16 Here's what it isn't :
17 Official Gentoo Project. This was started by me to see how viable it
18 is, and its not an official Gentoo project.
21 Here's how to use it :
22 Edit /etc/make.conf
23 add PORTAGE_BINHOST as one of the following :
24 http://chinstrap.alternating.net/files/binaries/i686/
25 ftp://ftp.alternating.net/chinstrap/binaries/i686/
26
27 emerge -gkvp gnome (For example)
28
29 Here's what's needed:
30 A pentium 2 class processor. That is "i686", so all Pentium3, Pentium4,
31 Athlon, Athlon-xp should work nicely. This was a tradeoff we had to
32 make due to resource limitations.
37 Here it is :
38 http://chinstrap.alternating.net/
45 Q/A:
46 My favourite package isn't included!
47 - Doesn't build reliably in an automated environment?
48 - I hadn't thought about it.
49
50 Things break. Foo doesn't start!
51 - run revdep-rebuild -p and send me the output, along with the
52 filenames + package names that don't work.
53
54 There are red x all over the screen? is that an error?
55 - nope. thats portage doing the right thing. Scary, isn't it?
56
57 This is unsafe.
58 - see MD5SUM in the dir, and MD5SUM.asc to verify that the md5's
59 haven't changed. Thats the best I can offer.
60
61 Does this even work?
62 - We have a few testers that have reported bugs and successess. Overall
63 its been quite good.
64
65 This is so not Gentoo!
66 -I cut the install down to about an hour, and that includes
67 Gnome, Mozilla, Open Office . Thats a choice I -like- to be able to
68 make.
69
70 Cool! What can I do?
71 - Reinstall stuffs and try it out? See how things work. Tell me of
72 packages you'd want to see built like this. Even come close to
73 suggesting OpenOffice and I'll.......
74
75 What issues are there?
76 - A lot of developers are lazy and haven't accorded for "hidden
77 dependencies" and just trust autodetection magic for packages.
78 This causes strange runtime dependencies that arent reproducible at all
79 times. This is the most annoying thing I've been batteling throughout
80 this.
84 Regards
85 Spider at behalf of the Chinstrap project
88 begin .signature
89 This is a .signature virus! Please copy me into your .signature!
91 end