From: David Leverton <levertond@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: The fallacies of GLEP55
Date: Sat, 16 May 2009 17:28:56
1 On Saturday 16 May 2009 13:14:23 Duncan wrote:
2 > I mean, for the longest time, the main (among many) boosting claim seemed
3 > to be that the speed difference between in-file and in-filename made the
4 > former prohibitive in practice.
5
6 No, performance was never the point of GLEP 55. People like to talk about it
7 because, as we all know, Gentoo is for ricers, but it's not relevant and
8 never has been, except to the extent that we don't want to make performance
9 worse than it is now.
10
11 > The argument was originally made that a simple highly specified EAPI=
12 > declaration in the file itself was too restrictive of all the ways it
13 > could be specified now -- until it began to be pointed out every time the
14 > argument was made that the filename method was very similarly
15 > restricted.
16
17 No, no-one has ever claimed that the restricted EAPI= method is bad because
18 they /want/ to be able to set it using weird bash tricks. The problem is
19 that, if it appears as a bash assignment you /can/ set it using weird bash
20 tricks, and making the PM's own parsing accept a subset of what can happen
21 when the ebuild /is/ eventually sourced is going to make a mess.
22
23 > I'd argue no, it's no more unintuitive than any other format definition
24 > choice. It's the basic format definition, using the long accepted method
25 > of "magic values" at a "magic location" to define the format version.
26 > That's very basic definitional, restricted only to the degree necessary
27 > for practical application of the definition. Therefore, it's not
28 > unintuitive, or at least, certainly no more so than arbitrarily defining
29 > it to be in the filename instead, because "intuitive" now gets defined by
30 > the format definition at an extremely basic level, well below the level
31 > at which all the "intuitive or not" fancy stuff gets addressed.
32
33 "The format definition at an extremely basic level" is bash, which has no such
34 restrictions.
35
36 For comparson, another alternative that some people have suggested is putting
37 it in a specially formatted comment. This avoids the issue I mentioned
38 because bash doesn't try to parse those at all, so the only rules are those
39 that specify what format the comment should be in. On the other hand, this
40 isn't backwards compatible with current package managers.