From: Adam Voigt <adam.voigt@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Prefixed Emerge's
Date: Tue, 16 Apr 2002 14:06:39
1 I was just curious if adding the feature of custom prefixes on emerge's (the equivalent of --prefix on a configure)
2 would be terribly hard to do, I ask because I would like to help and don't want to bother those of you working on
3 serious issues with this feature request. As I understand it, all it would really entail is checking if the enviorment
4 variable PREFIX is set and if it is switch PREFIX for /usr or whatever the path is in each ebuild. So for instance, if
5 you were installing mysql if PREFIX = "/usr/mysql" then everything would be set under that directory, so there would
6 be /usr/mysql/var for the actual db, etc. Is this correct?
7 And if it is, does this mean any package which supports custom prefix must have it's ebuild, hand edited? If this
8 is correct I wouldn't mind going through and at least starting on some of more popular packages to add custom
9 pathing's. If I am totally off base on this, I aplogize, this was just what popped into my head as a possible solution to
10 the problem.
11
12 Thanks,
13