From: Jason Stubbs <jstubbs@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Removal of auto-use in portage-2.0.54
Date: Sun, 27 Nov 2005 08:48:39
1 On Sunday 27 November 2005 01:48, Henrik Brix Andersen wrote:
2 > On Sat, Nov 26, 2005 at 05:12:45PM +0200, Marius Mauch wrote:
3 > > As I said earlier, we'd like to get rid of the nasty auto-use feature,
4 > > including the support for the USE_ORDER variable. Right now we intend
5 > > this for 2.0.54 (might not be the final version number) unless there are
6 > > major objections to it.
7 >
8 > What will happen to the USE flags currently in use.defaults when this
9 > is removed?
10
11 It will turn off unless it is enabled somewhere else.
12
13 > Perhaps some of them be moved to the profiles instead?
14
15 This is more of a releng/basesystem question rather than a portage question.
16 Makes no difference to me as a user as I have USE="-* ..." in make.conf. ;)
17
18 > I'm mostly concerned about the 'udev' USE flag. Some packages rely on
19 > this to be able to function correctly on an udev enabled system.
20 > Since udev seems to be the default choice for our default-linux
21 > profiles, it would make sense to also set USE=udev in those profiles?
22
23 Message logging will come in at the same time so it might be better to do
24 something like:
25
26 portageq has_version ${ROOT} sys-fs/udev && use !udev && (
27 ewarn "You have udev installed but do not the udev USE flag enabled."
28 ewarn "${PN} might behave incorrectly."
29 )
30
31 Except with better bash style of course.. But that's just what I'd do. Once
32 proper logging goes in, it'd be a good idea for policies on things like this
33 to be developed.
36 Jason Stubbs
37 --
38 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list