From: Kristian Fiskerstrand <k_f@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Dealing with GitHub Pull Requests the easy way
Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2016 07:58:41
1 On 10/26/2016 04:02 AM, Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > I did suggest that we probably should ban this header until we
3 > actually have a DCO because it blurs the lines. However, it isn't
4
5 Makes sense, at least strongly discourage, although it likely isn't too
6 difficult to do a full ban on git push
7
8 > really inferring something that isn't true right now because we don't
9 > assign any legal meaning to the header right now. The bigger concern
10 > is that it blurs the lines after we have a DCO because people can
11 > argue the use of the header was accidental or meant something else.
12
13 This comes back to the next part, and instituting a clear timeline
16 > Whether or not we proactively ban the header, it would probably make
17 > sense that if we do institute a new copyright policy including a DCO
18 > that we ask all devs to explicitly ack the policy and the meaning of
19 > the signed-off-by header somehow (maybe issue a gpg signed statement
20 > from a template). It could also be made a part of the ebuild quiz or
21 > such so that all new devs ack it.
22
23 Exactly (although I'm pleading for people to stop talking about "gpg
24 signed".. thats nonsense :) OpenPGP ftw)
27 > I don't think we need to go nuts with it. Simply getting everybody to
28 > ack the policy makes it unambiguous that people understand what the
29 > header means.
30
31 +1
32 >
33 > But, new policy or not the DCO really represents a practice that we
34 > should all be doing already. Nobody should be sticking code in a
35 > Gentoo repository without ensuring the licenses are compatible and so
36 > on. The DCO just represents a best practice that didn't exist when
37 > Gentoo started and which most projects now embrace in some form. It
38 > isn't that we didn't care about copyright in the past, we just care
39 > enough to be a little more formal about it in the future.
42 +1
43
44 >> > But this doesn't change the fact there is a desire to communicate other
45 >> > properties of commits, like the audit trail for QA purposes.
46 > Sure. The repository should always make it clear who made each
47 > commit, when, and why (with appropriate bug x-refs and so on).
48 > Ideally it should somehow capture both who authored the code and who
49 > put it into the repository. I think for the most part we're already
50 > doing all of this, but I'm sure there is room for improvement (having
51 > a bug header in the default repoman commit template probably wouldn't
52 > hurt - then they all look the same and you can always delete it or
53 > leave it blank if it doesn't apply).
54
55 Quality of commit messages certainly leaves something to be desired from
56 time to time, and actually having said trail of discussion on bugs.g.o
59 Kristian Fiskerstrand
60 OpenPGP keyblock reachable at hkp://pool.sks-keyservers.net
61 fpr:94CB AFDD 3034 5109 5618 35AA 0B7F 8B60 E3ED FAE3