From: Dietrich Heise <dietrich@×××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Creating tbz2 or RPMS from ebuild for different hosts!
Date: Wed, 18 Dec 2002 11:21:14
1 Hi,
2
3 > We are currently using Redhat Linux distribution on our servers and we
4 > are now looking forward to switch to Gentoo as a possible candidate,
5 > starting from an official Gentoo 1.4 release!
6 >
7 > Before switching to Gentoo we have some questions, and, please,
8 > appologize us if these questions have been asked before - I just
9 > couldn't find any gentoo mailing lists archive on the site! Also we have
10 > looked at the Gentoo forums, but didn't find a comprehensive answer!
11 >
12 > We will manage different servers and we will need to compile and build
13 > packages for those servers! So, is it possible to compile and build a
14 > software packages from ebuilds on a host for different hosts? Also can
15 > we control, what support (e.g. DB, LDAP, SSL, etc...) to include in the
16 > package?
17
18 I think if all servers are the same architecture (maybe x86) and U use the flags
19 that all your server understand it should be no problem to create binaries.
20
21 man emerge (rtfm)
22
23 --buildpkg (-b)
24 Tells emerge to build binary packages for all
25 ebuilds processed in addition to actually merging
26 [...]
27
28 Dietrich
31 Open WebMail Project (http://openwebmail.org)