From: "Tiziano Müller" <dev-zero@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Gentoo Council Reminder for May 28
Date: Tue, 26 May 2009 18:57:11
1 This is your friendly reminder! Same bat time (typically the 2nd & 4th
2 Thursdays at 2000 UTC / 1600 EST), same bat channel (#gentoo-council @
3 irc.freenode.net) !
4
5 If you have something you'd wish for us to chat about, maybe even vote
6 on, let us know! Simply reply to this e-mail for the whole Gentoo dev
7 list to see.
8
9 For more info on the Gentoo Council, feel free to browse our homepage:
10 http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/council/
13 Following is the preliminary meeting agenda. First we'll have to fill
14 the empty spot. After a short upgrade on EAPI-3 implementation we will
15 discuss the removal of old eclasses, followed by our old friend GLEP 55.
16 If we still have time we can dive into the topic of general EAPI
17 development.
20 Approval/voting of new council member replacing Donnie Berkholz
21 ---------------------------------------------------------------
22
23 Unfortunately Donnie resigned as a member of the council (for
24 details please read his mail on the g-council ml). Next in line
25 are ulm and ssuominen.
28 EAPI 3: Short discussion of the progress
29 ----------------------------------------
30
31 zmedico will provide an update on the progress of the implementation. Short
32 discussion of problems and implementation decisions if needed.
35 Removing old eclasses
36 ---------------------
37
38 Goal: Decide whether developers are allowed to remove eclasses. Problem:
39 Upgrading using portage with a version before 2.1.4 will fail since portage
40 always used eclasses from the tree instead of the ones from environment.bz2,
41 even though the environment fail has been generated. Portage 2.1.4 got stabled
42 over a year ago.
45 Handling EAPI versioning in a forwards-compatible way
46 -----------------------------------------------------
47
48 Goal: Discuss whether one of the alternatives given in GLEP 55 is appropriate
49 to solve the problem. Decide which one should be chosen.
52 Define EAPI development/deployment cycles
53 -----------------------------------------
54
55 Goal: Start discussion about EAPI development/deployment. For example:
56 Collect problems of eapi introductions in the past, like reverting
57 ebuilds to former eapis to get them stable, not waiting for the pm
58 support a certain eapi before requesting stable keywords for ebuilds
59 using the new eapi, .... Collect problems of EAPI development like
60 feature-freeze, late feature removals (due to implementation problems).
61 Eventually develop a lightweight EAPI development model.
64 Cheers,
65 Tiziano
68 Tiziano Müller
69 Gentoo Linux Developer, Council Member
70 Areas of responsibility:
71 Samba, PostgreSQL, CPP, Python, sysadmin, GLEP Editor
72 E-Mail : dev-zero@g.o
73 GnuPG FP : F327 283A E769 2E36 18D5 4DE2 1B05 6A63 AE9C 1E30