From: Richard Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] gentoo embedded "reference accounts"?
Date: Sat, 29 May 2010 20:06:51
1 On 05/29/2010 01:54 PM, Joshua Saddler wrote:
2 >
3 > D-Link routers, for example, run (or used to run) Gentoo. SRI's solar
4 > probe, RAISE, ran Gentoo. The Misa Digital Guitar, just entering mass
5 > production, runs Gentoo. There are many more places where Gentoo's
6 > been used in various devices and production environments, so the PR,
7 > GMN, and GWN archives are your friends, as well as searching Google
8 > for Gentoo success stories.
9
10 When I think about pros/cons for Gentoo vs something else here are a few
11 thoughts (some of which you may have already had):
12
13 Linux in general isn't the only OS used in embedded apps - there are
14 other options like vxware/etc, which probably should be at least
15 considered as well. Advantages of linux in general would be familiarity
16 and a very wide range of features. A more purpose-driven OS might have
17 the advantage of better realtime support and stability, as well as
18 better vendor support (embedded is all that they do).
19
20 If you're going to run linux, then I'd consider Gentoo well up there -
21 granted I'd strip out a lot of it before deploying it. Gentoo has most
22 of the flexibility of linux from scratch, but is FAR more maintainable
23 if you plan to keep it updated. The fact that you can mix and match
24 just about any version of any library/etc is a big plus - it gives you
25 more control over what you put on your device. On the other hand, some
26 other distros might give you better long-term-support if you're willing
27 to live with the library versions they pick and how they build
28 everything. If your device goes on a network then it may need security
29 patching, and that is generally safer if you have a vendor who will
30 backport security fixes for 5+ years. Something like RHEL has
31 certifications/etc and more formal support, so you can hire people who
32 probably know what they're doing.
33
34 Like anything you have to consider all the pros/cons. If I were
35 building something on my own dime in an embedded space I'd probably
36 strongly consider Gentoo.
37
38 Of course, if you do use Gentoo unless you have a ton of storage you're
39 going to want to strip out the toolchain, portage, etc. You would use
40 gentoo to maintain a development image, and then any time you want to
41 you could copy that and then trim it way down (you could probably script
42 this).
43
44 Just some random thoughts.
45