From: Michael Orlitzky <mjo@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] What's going on with the tmpfiles eclasses?
Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2019 14:26:32
1 On 4/26/19 9:32 AM, Michał Górny wrote:
2 >
3 > Whether it can be deleted is up to system's configuration. The current
4 > solution works for majority of cases, including a. people who use
5 > systemd or OpenRC, and set their systems to clean it up, and b. people
6 > who don't use either but don't clean it up.
7 >
8 > We can't support everyone, and a small potential minority for whose this
9 > might not work is no excuse to replace it with a worse solution.
12 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yjfrJzdx7DA
13
14 I don't believe that one of the world's foremost experts on package
15 management is stumped trying to configure a common cache directory. But,
16 I've let you change the subject.
17
18 We're only talking about eix because you gave it as an example of a
19 package that needs the RDEPEND=virtual/tmpfiles in the eclass, claiming
20 that it needs tmpfiles_process() to work. Yet you've acknowledged that
21 this is an eix-specific hack that won't work in some cases.
22
23 In cases like that, adding RDEPEND=virtual/tmpfiles to the ebuild is a
24 better solution, because (a) the end result is exactly the same, (b) it
25 keeps the dependency out of the eclass, and (c) it localizes the
26 dependency to the place that needs it, namely the wacky package.
27
28 In cases like that, using a simple "dodir /var/cache/eix" is a better
29 solution because (a) the end result is exactly the same, (b) it keeps
30 the dependency out of the eclass, and (c) doesn't need a dependency on
31 virtual/tmpfiles at all.
32
33 Both are preferable in the case of app-portage/eix, so I don't buy it as
34 justification for keeping the RDEPEND in the eclass. Are there better
35 examples?