From: Lisa Seelye <lisa@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] sed vs gsed
Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2006 14:35:07
1 On Wed, 2006-01-25 at 00:14 +0100, Diego 'Flameeyes' Pettenò wrote:
2 > I think the time is mature to ask for another step of Gentoo/ALT
3 > improvement ;)
4 > Currently ebuilds uses a sed syntax that's mostly GNU sed 4 compatible, but
5 > incompatible with BSD sed for instance. This is usually fine as we aliases
6 > sed to gsed in our bashrc so that the problem in sed calls is removed.
7 > The main problem happen with sed when called by xargs or by find, as that
8 > ignores the aliases set in bashrc.
9 > What I'd like to ask is, if possible, to start using gsed instead, that's
10 > present on both GNU and other userlands with current stable version of sed
11 > (4.1.4; ppc-macos has no problem as the 4.0.9 version uses gsed anyway).
12 >
13 > It might require to change the dependency over >=sys-apps/sed-4.1.4, but that
14 > would help making portage a bit cleaner IMHO (instead of relying on sed being
15 > the executable you need, it make sure you're using a GNU sed version) and
16 > solves quite a few headaches for us.
17 >
18 > Comments about this? (Please don't tell me to do a GLEP about this)
19
20 Can you change the PATH that Portage uses to do ebuilds to favour,
21 say, /usr/local/gentoo-bsd/wrappers/bin, first which will have a sed to
22 gsed wrapper?
25 Regards,
26 Lisa Seelye
27 GPG: 09CF5 2D6B8 2B72B 997A7 601BC B46B5 561E4 96FC5
28 http://www.thedoh.com/~lisa/site