From: "Kevin F. Quinn" <kevquinn@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: hkBst@g.o, sound@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC Package name additions
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2007 11:32:05
1 On Sat, 17 Mar 2007 10:46:22 +0100
2 "Marijn Schouten (hkBst)" <hkBst@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > One thing we could do would be to separate hierarchy from version
5 > naming.
6
7 This is where upstream version numbers fail to have a decent order
8 (like your example where later versions have lower version numbers).
9 It could be done for example by extending metadata to include
10 definitions of unnatural ordering, but I don't think it's worth the
11 effort. So far we deal with that on a case-by-case basis, and live
12 with the pain when it occurs.
13
14 > This would prevent cases like currently with rosegarden (~)1.2.4
15 > (~)1.4.0 4.1.0-r1 4.1.0-r2, where it really should be 4.1.0-r1
16 > 4.1.0-r2 (~)1.2.4 (~)1.4.0.
17
18 For example, a simple solution is to just re-number the (presumably
19 older) 4.* as 0.4.* and be done. That would also solve the potential
20 future problem when the latest release reaches 4.* again. The sequence
21 I would do is:
22
23 1) copy 4.1.0* to 0.4.1.0*, commit to the tree (here you could either
24 rig the SRC_URI to keep the old tarball names, or copy the old
25 tarballs again with the new revision number)
26
27 2) Alter any packages that depend on the 4.1 versions explicitly, to
28 depend on the 0.4.1 versions (after you're sure the new 0.4.*
29 versions are in the tree).
30
31 3) Remove the 4.1* versions - after a delay (a few days, a
32 week, whatever, depending on how often your users are likely to
33 update); in the changelog note that users should expect a
34 downgrade and it is ok to do so. As a minimum, delay until
35 you're sure (1) and (2) have reached the rsync mirrors.
36
37 4) Get 1.2*, 1.4* stablilised some time later in the normal way.
38
39 Actually a quick scan of the tree shows there's nothing affected by (2)
40 so that step can be skipped. I'd recommend still having a delay between
41 the copy (1) and the removals (3) - at least long enough for the copies
42 to propogate to the rsync mirrors before the removals happen (I'd
43 probably do the copy one day, check that got through ok the next day
44 and do the removals then). Noting the expected downgrade in the
45 changelog when the higher-numbers are removed is important (this is
46 what users will see if they do emerge -l).
49 Kevin F. Quinn