From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] client/server policy for ebuilds
Date: Fri, 09 Jun 2006 21:52:12
1 On Fri, 2006-06-09 at 22:05 +0100, Stuart Herbert wrote:
2 > On 6/9/06, Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o> wrote:
3 > > Gentoo's standard operating procedure is to build packages as they were
4 > > intended and packaged from upstream.
5 >
6 > +1
7 >
8 > > This means if the client and the
9 > > server for a particular package is in a single package, we should build
10 > > both by default.
11 >
12 > No thanks. That doesn't match the standard operating procedure
13 > mentioned above. By default, why don't we just build whatever
14 > $UPSTREAM intended built by default?
15
16 That is *exactly* what I said.
17
18 > It means that different packages will behave differently throughout
19 > the tree, but that's okay, and is more Gentoo-like than your proposal.
20
21 Except that you're just saying exactly what I said, just in different
22 words.
23
24 > > To facilitate building the client portions only, the
25 > > use of the local "minimal" USE flag is allowed.
26 >
27 > How will you support building the server-only portions of the package?
28
29 I honestly never bothered to consider it, and really don't care.
30 Someone else can come up with that idea. The problem with using two USE
31 flags is what do you do when someone chooses neither?
34 Chris Gianelloni
35 Release Engineering - Strategic Lead
36 x86 Architecture Team
37 Games - Developer