From: Daniel Parker <dgphome@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@××××××××××.org
Subject: [gentoo-dev] rc6-3 install update
Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2001 22:35:42
1 Hello all,
2
3 I have decided to install rc6-3 for a few reasons (to test it, to get a fast
4 great linux, and to learn).
5
6 Anyway, here are the issues I've found (and fixed when I could!)
7 1. ed stops during emerge system - texinfo not found
8 2. rest of bootstrap and emerge system seems to go okay
9 3. X install goes okay except:
10 3.1 needed to add /usr/X11R6/bin to profile path (both root and user)
11 3.2 typing XDM gets the login screen, but won't let me log in (it just
12 reinitializes back to the login screen).
13 4. no rc-update or config scripts
14 5. changed link in /etc/runlevels/boot/....... net.lo now points to
15 /etc/init.d/net.eth0-dhcp
16 6. no modules.conf (I've been putting things in modules)
17
18 So, all seems to be going okay so far....
19
20 By the way, can anyone help with point 3.2. I really would like to log into
21 X at startup (or kdm -> compiling kdebase next!)
22
23 I will try to keep finding issues and suggesting help... Hope to help make
24 Gentoo the best distro around!
25
26 Daniel Parker