From: "Olivier Crête" <tester@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] separate debug information
Date: Fri, 02 Apr 2004 11:29:14

I actually have a patch (in bug #45756) that does the job.. But there
are two problems which have thus far prevented me from pushing more on
this, first I experience bizarre brokenness with gdb 6.x (#45756).. And
second, binutils< only copies the debug section, but not the
symbols into the debug file. So using the currently stable binutils, we
have to use strip -g (and it procudes empty .debug files if -g is not in
the cflags) so its not that useful without using the ~arch binutils (and
being able to fully strip the executables).

Also, I'd like to try to see if we could have a features where the
sources are kept for reference like redhat/fedora does with its
-debuginfo rpms. I'll check how redhat does it and if we can do
something similar when I come back from my vacation...

On Fri, 2004-04-02 at 10:47, Paul de Vrieze wrote:
-- Olivier Crête tester@g.o Gentoo Developer

Subject Author
Re: [gentoo-dev] separate debug information Paul de Vrieze <pauldv@g.o>