From: Patrick Lauer <patrick@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Proposal: ban mirror://gentoo/ from ebuilds
Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2011 09:01:11
1 On 08/18/11 10:50, Diego Elio Pettenò wrote:
2 > Hello everybody,
3 >
4 > I have already said this before, but it looks like nobody cared. We have
5 > a problem for what concerns Gentoo-generated distfiles.
6
7 People being quiet doesn't imply they don't care - just that it gets
8 really frustrating to repeat the same thing every week ;)
9
10 > This includes custom snapshots, custom packages, patches, patchsets, and
11 > so on so forth. While it was infra that (back when I joined at least)
12 > asked not to use dev.gentoo.org for hosting said fails and rather prefer
13 > to use mirror://gentoo/, they already stated that it's not a problem to
14 > do so until we have a proper system in place (system that has been
15 > considered and worked on for quite a bit already and yet is not
16 > available).
17
18 So - what needs to be done to finally make it happen?
19
20 > Unfortunately, as long as the mirror://gentoo/ option is still
21 > maintained, we'll end up with situations like today's gnuconfig that
22 > couldn't be fetched,
23
24 That's not the only one - if you want to recreate a year-old system
25 you'll have trouble finding those patches because the ebuilds were
26 removed and the distfiles removed from the mirrors
27
28 > causing all ~arch users to see the same failure,
29 > because the distfile wasn't uploaded to the staging area. Of course the
30 > same could happen with a stable SRC_URI, but then it would fail after
31 > hitting that, rather than going through half the gentoo mirrors trying
32 > to find a file that is not there.
33 >
34 > So, anybody has reasons beside laziness, or concern for infra's disk
35 > usage (that argument is allowed to come only from infra members!), to
36 > not go this route?
37
38 I'll even donate two 2TB disks to kill the disk space argument ;)
39 Hardware is cheap, the maintenance and planning is most likely more of a
40 bottleneck - but then there's enough smart people around if anyone needs
41 help.