From: Sam James <sam@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: zx2c4@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] <non-maintainer-commits-welcome/> proposal
Date: Tue, 05 Jul 2022 03:31:35
1 > On 5 Jul 2022, at 03:49, Ionen Wolkens <ionen@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > On Mon, Jul 04, 2022 at 04:19:12PM +0200, Florian Schmaus wrote:
4 >> I'd like to propose a new metadata XML element for packages:
5 >>
6 >> <non-maintainer-commits-welcome/>
7 >>
8 >> Maintainers can signal to other developers (and of course contributors
9 >> in general) that they are happy with others to make changes to the
10 >> ebuilds without prior consultation of the maintainer.
11 >>
12 >> Of course, this is not a free ticket to always make changes to packages
13 >> that you do not maintain without prior consultation of the maintainer. I
14 >> would expect people to use their common sense to decide if a change may
15 >> require maintainer attention or not. In general, it is always a good
16 >> idea to communicate changes in every case.
17 >>
18 >> The absence of the flag does not automatically allow the conclusion that
19 >> the maintainer is opposed to non-maintainer commits. It just means that
20 >> the maintainer's stance is not known. I do not believe that we need a
21 >> <non-maintainer-commits-disallowed/> flag, but if the need arises, we
22 >> could always consider adding one. Although, in my experience, people
23 >> mostly like to communicate the "non-maintainer commits welcome" policy
24 >> with others.
25 >>
26 >> WDYT?
27 >
28 > Personally I think something per-maintainer rather than per package
29 > would be simpler, and allow to say more as needed.
30 >
31 > Think like devaway instructions, but something more permanent and
32 > not for being away, e.g.
33 > "feel free to touch my packages except this big important one, and
34 > or do or do not do this to them"
35
36 On this, some prior art from zx2c4: https://marc.info/?l=gentoo-dev&m=147816820903115&w=2).
37