From: "Robin H. Johnson" <robbat2@g.o>
To: Gentoo Developers <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] cvs.gentoo.org downtime, Tuesday, June 8th, 0000-0100UTC
Date: Fri, 04 Jun 2004 20:01:51
1 On Fri, Jun 04, 2004 at 02:55:21PM +0200, Paul de Vrieze wrote:
3 > Hash: SHA1
4 >
5 > On Friday 04 June 2004 02:01, Kurt Lieber wrote:
6 > > cvs.gentoo.org is going to be down for ~1 hour on Tuesday, June 8th
7 > > while we run some sed scripts to complete the /var/cvsroot migration
8 > > and also pull the cover to find out what sort of RAM it has in it.
9 > > (registered vs. non-registered)
10 > >
11 > > We'll have another brief period of downtime about a week or so later
12 > > when we install another gigabyte of RAM in the server. This should
13 > > allow Robin to set up some fancy footwork with tmp files on RAM disks
14 > > to improve the performance of cvs for folks.
15 > Maybe a suggestion for Robin could be to contact sourceforge. They have
16 > recently sped up their anonymous CVS significantly and plan on speeding
17 > up their developer-ssh-CVS. Maybe they could give some tips.
18 I've got the speedups planned out myself, mainly derived from some
19 profiling of CVS and reading the source. I've got 12 users (11 devs +
20 gmirror) on the speedups presently, but we need the RAM to scale it up
21 for more devs. My times for a full cvs update/checkout have dropped from
22 ~15mins to less than 5 minutes (I've seen times below 3 minutes on
23 occasion). This will work for everybody provided that your machine isn't
24 the slow part of the chain. And if you do still find your CVS up/co
25 unbearably slow within reason, give me a shout and I'll try to help you
26 speed it up.
27
28 The Sourceforge CVS was slow with a related but different problem to our
29 CVS. We have a single massive CVS tree (raw size is 1GB+), whereas they
30 have a LOT of small CVS trees.
31
32 I'll probably write up a mini-HOWTO document on speeding up large CVS
33 trees once I'm done.
36 Robin Hugh Johnson
37 E-Mail : robbat2@××××××××××××××.net
38 Home Page : http://www.orbis-terrarum.net/?l=people.robbat2
39 ICQ# : 30269588 or 41961639
40 GnuPG FP : 11AC BA4F 4778 E3F6 E4ED F38E B27B 944E 3488 4E85