From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] */*: Mask Py2 only packages
Date: Wed, 24 Jun 2020 20:21:34
1 On Wed, Jun 24, 2020 at 4:08 PM Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > $ git grep -l mgorny@g.o '**/metadata.xml' | cut -d/ -f1-2 |
4 > xargs gpy-py2 2>/dev/null
7 I have no idea what gpy-py2 is, but I'll take your word for it.
8
9 In any case, the solution in this case is to send a nice email to
10 -dev-announce saying:
11
12 We're removing python2 around <date>. You can help us out by updating
13 any packages you have that use python2. If you want to easily
14 identify these packages just do <insert quick script here>.
15
16 I think the problem here is that we're basically telling maintainers
17 that the beatings will continue until morale improves. Then we're
18 wondering why nothing is getting done.
19
20 I'm not saying anybody has to do it a particular way - it just seems
21 obvious that the way we're doing it is more successful at getting
22 people upset than actually getting results.
23
24 Ideally you would just open a tracker bug and then per-package bugs
25 for every impacted package. That would be the cleanest solution. If
26 that is too painful then by all means do some email announcements, but
27 make it easy for devs to realize when they're missing something.
28
29 Having a package mask be the first time a maintainer finds out that
30 they have a problem isn't good. Now, you can blame that on the
31 maintainer, or you can blame that on the python team, but either way
32 the users end up getting exposed to breakage unnecessarily.
35 Rich