From: Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: linux-firmware
Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2013 18:34:05
1 >>>>> On Thu, 21 Feb 2013, Greg KH wrote:
2
3 >> Ulrich Mueller (ulm) wrote this on the 16th:
4 >>
5 >> > Look into the WHENCE file and be horrified. Taking just the first ten
6 >> > items (of a total 114):
7 >> >
8 >> > Unknown license (3 times)
9
10 > Which ones specifically?
11
12 Driver: snd-korg1212 -- Korg 1212 IO audio device
13 Driver: kaweth -- USB KLSI KL5USB101-based Ethernet device
14 Driver: dvb-ttusb-budget -- Technotrend/Hauppauge Nova-USB devices
15
16 >> > GPL, but without source (3 times)
17
18 > Really? Which?
19
20 Driver: ambassador -- Madge Ambassador (Collage PCI 155 Server) ATM NIC.
21 Driver: snd-maestro3 -- ESS Allegro Maestro3 audio device
22 Driver: qla1280 - Qlogic QLA 1240/1x80/1x160 SCSI support
23
24 >> > "All rights reserved"
25
26 > That's not an issue, unless it is alone, is there something else in the
27 > license as well?
28
29 Driver: snd-ymfpci -- Yamaha YMF724/740/744/754 audio devices
30
31 According to WHENCE, it is:
32 "Copyright (c) 1997-1999 Yamaha Corporation. All Rights Reserved."
33 Nothing else.
34
35 >> > BSD, without source
36
37 > There's no problem with that.
38
39 Driver: advansys - AdvanSys SCSI
40
41 Right, and it's the only one out of the first ten that we're allowed
42 to redistribute.
43
44 >> > Right for redistribution not granted
45
46 > Huh? Which?
47
48 Driver: smctr -- SMC ISA/MCA Token Ring adapter
49
50 >> > "Permission is hereby granted for the distribution [...] as part of
51 >> > a Linux or other Open Source operating system kernel"
52
53 > What is wrong with that? We happen to be distributing a Linux operating
54 > system.
55
56 Driver: keyspan -- USB Keyspan USA-xxx serial device
57
58 We distribute it in a separate package. And it doesn't say "part of
59 an OS" but explicitly "part of a kernel".
60
61 >> > With one exception, we are not even allowed to redistribute these.
62
63 > I don't understand, please explain all of these in detail so that we can
64 > fix this upstream.
65
66 >> This is what we've been discussing about. This is not really about
67 >> Gentoo by itself, but the ability to distribute the sources at all, be
68 >> it from us or somebody else.
69
70 > I understand, and as an upstream developer, I want to see that fixed
71 > because all distros need to be able to distribute these files for the
72 > kernel to work properly.
73
74 > Oh, and other distros, with lots of lawyers, are distributing these
75 > firmware images as a single package, so this needs to be resolved either
76 > by realizing that our interpretation is incorrect, or that everyone is
77 > wrong here.
78
79 Can you show me a distro that distributes above-mentioned files?
80 Debian, for example, doesn't distribute them (AFAICS).
81
82 Ulrich