From: "Chad M. Huneycutt" <chad.huneycutt@×××.org>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Loading Modules from Init Scripts?
Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2002 16:31:54
1 Hi all,
2 Do we have a policy about init scripts loading modules? I didn't think
3 the scripts for any packages that I have installed load modules, but I
4 don't have everything installed. It seems like the preferred way to do it
5 is to have the admin put any necessary modules in /etc/modules.autoload.
6
7 Here is why I ask. The pcmcia init script that is installed with
8 pcmcia-cs currently is outdated, but it loads the $PCIC (i82365 or
9 yenta_socket) module, as well as pcmcia_core and ds. Then it starts
10 cardmgr (which will not start without ds loaded). The init script does not
11 unload the modules when it is stopped, though.
12
13 It makes sense that if a service requires particular kernel
14 functionality to be available in order to work that it should load the
15 modules for that functionality. However, this adds some overhead to the
16 initscript, in that you have to determine if the module exists, load it,
17 make sure it loads, etc. before starting the service. Then what about when
18 the functionality has been built into the kernel, not as a module. Do we
19 have to detect that? That is why I think it might be easier if we make it
20 policy to just eerror out and say "You have to first load these modules!"
21 rather than worrying about loading them in the script.
22
23 If we decide to load modules from the scripts, then it would be nice to
24 have some convenience routines to facilitate the process, e.g.,
25
26 load_modules pcmcia_core i82365 ds || die
27
28 or something like that, which would check to see if the modules were
29 already loaded (or maybe even compiled into the kernel), and if not, then
30 it would load them.
31
32 Thoughts?
33