From: rob holland <robh@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Gentoo Weekly News Letter - "Where is Gentoo Linux 1.4"
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2003 14:33:39
1 --On Wednesday, June 25, 2003 23:08:44 +0900 Stuart Bouyer
2 <stubear@××××××××××××.org> wrote:
3
4 I perfectly understand the complaint you've just made. I don't think it was
5 clear from the previous emails, maybe its just me.
6
7 > Not only will new versions of
8 > ebuilds have been added to the portage tree, but there is a great chance
9 > that ebuild for the version of the package that I'm happy using will no
10 > longer be in portage tree. What I install using the 1.3 install CD today
11 > will be very different from what I installed 3 months ago.
12
13 Please don't confuse which install CD you used with which packages you have
14 installed. The two are completely unlrelated unless you have never updated
15 anything from the stage3 build of the CD.
16
17 I'd like to reiterate that "releases" are only releases of the install CD,
18 not the system.
19
20 > If I don't want to update to the new package - and there are many
21 > reasons why I would not want to - then my only optinos are not to emerge
22 > sync (and miss out on the update I do need) or to manually find the
23 > ebuilds I want in the attic of the web cvs gateway.
24
25 Yes and this is a pain. We have no way to fix this currently which is what
26 I meant to imply with my email, I obviously failed miserably, sorry about
27 that.
28
29 Due to the strain on infrastructure we don't allow users to sync their
30 portage tree using CVS. I can't see a way round this until we have the
31 capacity to allow anonymous CVS access again. Even then it will mean a big
32 change in the way gentoo is developed (use of CVS tags and marking some
33 kind of "system release") and possibly changes to portage.
34
35 Currently only the live/install CDs are "released" as such.
39 robh@g.o / robh:irc.freenode.net
40 http://cvs.gentoo.org/~robh/robh@××××××××××.asc