From: Sam James <sam@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] Dropping PyPy(3) back to ~arch
Date: Wed, 03 Mar 2021 23:01:06
1 > On 2 Mar 2021, at 15:05, Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > Hi,
4 >
5 > I think I've made a mistake by stabilizing PyPy(3), and I would like to
6 > drop it back to ~arch (and stable-mask the relevant flags).
7 >
8 > Roughly, there are 4 problems with it:
9 >
10 > [snip]
11
12 > Honestly, I've tried to improve PyPy in the past but I don't really have
13 > time or motivation to do this continuously. PyPy is an interesting
14 > project, and it has its isolated uses. However, I don't think it's
15 > ready as a general-purpose Python interpreter for production
16 > environments.
17 >
18 > I don't really want to remove it entirely or revert all the work we've
19 > put into testing packages with it -- but I think we should move it to
20 > ~arch at the very least.
21
22 It’s unfortunate but no objections. News item may be worthwhile
23 to explain to users why & how for posterity, but not necessary.