From: "Paweł Hajdan
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] hardened flavor of the developer profile
Date: Fri, 06 May 2011 07:30:30
1 On 5/5/11 10:45 PM, Anthony G. Basile wrote:
2 > We simplified our profiles recently (last Oct-Nov 2010)
3
4 You're referring to
5 http://archives.gentoo.org/gentoo-dev/msg_d847f6258a398052deecc9786c45c604.xml,
6 right?
7
8 > and I only
9 > listed hardened/linux/x86 in profiles.desc. You can manually set
10 >
11 > ln -s ../usr/portage/profiles/hardened/linux/x86/developer
12 > /etc/make.profile
13 >
14 > The only thing to be careful of is that there is a lot of cruft under
15 > the hardened profiles, some really old deprecated material that I have
16 > not yet cleared out. You really don't want to use one of that. Just
17 > watch out for any warning about deprecated profiles.
18
19 Oh, it's a stable system so I wouldn't want to go that route then.
20
21 Here's what I'm trying to do, maybe you'll have some advice how to do
22 that the best way (or whether to do that at all): I'd like to move more
23 of the hardened features to the defaults. A good start would be to make
24 more developers use them, to detect hardened-related problems earlier,
25 and avoid confusion like "it works on my non-hardened system".
26
27 Please note that even with hardened gcc one can select the vanilla
28 specs, effectively disabling the hardened features. Hopefully my
29 understanding is correct.
30
31 A possible idea I was thinking about was to add the hardened profile as
32 a parent of the developer profile... how does that sound to you? Is
33 there some better way?