From: "Kevin F. Quinn" <kevquinn@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] variable quoting, setting optional variables to "", and depending on virtual/libc
Date: Sat, 17 Jun 2006 09:37:54
1 On Sat, 17 Jun 2006 03:33:28 -0400
2 Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > On Saturday 17 June 2006 02:02, Drake Wyrm wrote:
5 > > Thomas Cort <tcort@g.o> wrote:
6 > > > DEPEND="virtual/libc" # used by 809 ebuilds
7 > >
8 > > There are opinions on both sides of this subject, but I think that
9 > > most devs are starting to see the value in this. If a package
10 > > requires some other package, say so. It may be a bit more work
11 > > (twelve keystrokes), but it's worth the extra effort (twelve
12 > > keystrokes) to be complete.
13 >
14 > virtual/libc has no value in DEPEND/RDEPEND
15 >
16 > you cannot have a system without a system libc (well you can, but
17 > this *very edge* case doesnt matter in the portage world)
18
19 Agreed.
20
21 However "Package Dependencies" in the dev handbook
22 http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/devrel/handbook/handbook.xml?part=2&chap=1#doc_chap5
23 suggests adding it as it uses virtual/libc as an example of the use of
24 virtuals.
25
26 Regarding implicit system dependencies which can be omitted from *DEPEND
27 http://devmanual.gentoo.org/general-concepts/dependencies/index.html#implicit-system-dependency
28 obviously USE flag settings affect what's pulled in by system as does
29 the profile.
30
31 So I think if we're to allow essential system dependencies to be
32 omitted, we should be very explicit; i.e. publish a strict list.
35 Kevin F. Quinn