From: "Robin H. Johnson" <robbat2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [v1.0.3] GLEP 74: Full-tree verification using Manifest files
Date: Mon, 06 Nov 2017 20:43:02
1 On Sun, Nov 05, 2017 at 10:10:32PM +0100, Michał Górny wrote:
2 > > Nits:
3 > > - please stick to ASCII ellipsis. The unicode ellipsis is unreadable in
4 > > some monospace fonts.
5 > Done. Also replaced '—' for consistency.
6 I wasn't even aware you had used a different dash, it was rendered
7 identically here, definitely thanks for fixing that too.
8
9 > > Further items inline:
10 > > > Directory tree coverage
11 > > > -----------------------
12 > I've went for something even more explicit:
13 > | If files or directories that are not otherwise ignored reside
14 > | on a different filesystem, or symbolic links point to targets
15 > | on a different filesystem, they must be explicitly excluded
16 > | via ``IGNORE``.
17 +1, resolves the concern very well, nice and clear.
18
19 > > > Tree layout restrictions
20 > > > ------------------------
21 > > 'common' in the second sentence seems odd. What about uncommon
22 > > filenames? Maybe just s/other common filenames/other filenames/.
23 > Done. The idea was to say 'do not put IGNORE for corner cases which are
24 > better handled via PM config' but I guess it's not necessary here.
25 Yes. Generally, IGNORE entries in Manifest should be for files
26 distributed alongside the Manifest. We're say as common special cases,
27 that local/distfiles/packages/lost+found are also known for ignore,
28 since they have previously-defined meaning in the repo (along with the
29 old timestamp files).
30
31 > > > Non-strict Manifest verification
32 > > > --------------------------------
33 > Rewritten to:
34 > | It is much more common for users to strip whole packages
35 > | or categories. The ``MISC`` type is not suitable for that,
36 > | and so a dedicated package manager mechanism needs to be developed
37 > | instead; possibly combining it with rsync exclusion list. The same
38 > | mechanism can also handle files that historically used the ``MISC``
39 > | type.
40 > But it's merely a rationale, so I'd rather not spend another hour trying
41 > to cover every corner case in it.
42 +1. Maybe cover it with a single sentence, "As an example, the package
43 manager may choose to generate both the rsync exclusion list and
44 Manifest IGNORE based on a source list"
47 Robin Hugh Johnson
48 Gentoo Linux: Dev, Infra Lead, Foundation Asst. Treasurer
49 E-Mail : robbat2@g.o
50 GnuPG FP : 11ACBA4F 4778E3F6 E4EDF38E B27B944E 34884E85
51 GnuPG FP : 7D0B3CEB E9B85B1F 825BCECF EE05E6F6 A48F6136