From: Joshua Kinard <kumba@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Printer drivers and net-print
Date: Sat, 18 Dec 2021 00:37:42
1 On 12/17/2021 11:56, Andrew Savchenko wrote:
2 > On Fri, 17 Dec 2021 14:00:48 +0100 Andreas Sturmlechner wrote:
3 >> On Montag, 20. Februar 2017 22:47:17 CET Andreas K. Huettel wrote:
4 >>> Hey all,
5 >>>
6 >>> 1) Putting printer drivers into "net-print" is silly.
7 >>>
8 >>> Something that converts format a to device-specific format b has absolutely
9 >>> nothing to do with network.
10 >>> So, a new category "sys-print", emphasizing that it's hardware drivers, (or
11 >>> "cups-drv"?) (or maybe "media-print"?) might make sense.
12 >>>
13 >>> 2) After introducing that, however, "net-print" becomes nearly empty.
14 >>>
15 >>> On a quick glance, the only *network*-specific packages in there are cups
16 >>> and lprng. Maybe one or two more which I dont recognize.
17 >>>
18 >>> So move cups and lprng to "net-misc" and drop "net-print"?
19 >>> Or move them to new "sys-print" as well?
20 >>>
21 >>> What do you think?
22 >>>
23 >>> Cheers,
24 >>> Andreas
25 >>
26 >> I would like to resume this discussion on the occasion of a new [shameless
27 >> plug] package PAPPL that is to be packaged, see also [1], from the point
28 >> before discussion went off on an X-Y categories tangent.
29 >>
30 >> Here's a list of suggestions made for a new category so far, ordered from
31 >> (seemingly) best- to least-liked:
32 >>
33 >> media-print
34 >> sys-print
35 >> app-print(ing)
36 >
37 > IMHO sys-print is the best variant, since printing often requires
38 > system privileges to set it up or change lots of settings.
39 >
40 > Best regards,
41 > Andrew Savchenko
42
43 Maybe consider three new top-level categories?:
44 - print-drivers
45 - print-filters
46 - print-misc
49 Breaking out what's in the current net-print:
50
51 print-drivers/
52 brlaser
53 cndrvcups-common-lb
54 cndrvcups-lb
55 cnrdrvcups-lb
56 cups-windows
57 dymo-cups-drivers
58 epson-inkjet-printer-escpr
59 foo2zjs
60 gutenprint
61 hplip
62 hplip-plugin
63 kyocera-1x2x-mfp-driver
64 pnm2ppa
65 splix
66
67 print-filters/
68 apsfilter
69 c2esp
70 cnijfilter2
71 cups-filters
72 kyocera-mita-ppds
73 lexmark-upd-ppd
74 foomatic-db
75 foomatic-db-engine
76 foomatic-db-ppds
77
78 print-misc/
79 cups
80 cups-bjnp
81 cups-pdf
82 cups-pk-helper
83 fax4cups
84 gtklp
85 ink
86 libinklevel
87 mtink
88 npadmin
89 poster
90 sshlpr
91
92 I haven't looked at any of the other existing categories and only sorted out
93 net-print packages into these new proposed categories, but I think *most*
94 printing stuff is going to fall into one of those three type of buckets. A
95 fourth category, say print-scanning, may be able to be created specific to
96 scanning stuff, since that kinda has its own side-ecosystem. If we
97 accumulate enough printing-related libraries, I guess print-libs may also
98 come into being (right now, I put libinklevel under print-misc since it's
99 the only lib* standout).
100
101 Idea behind a new top-level print-* group of categories is that printing is
102 a fairly large ecosystem, and lumping it all into something like media-print
103 or sys-print seems to miss the mark a bit. media-* seems more aligned to
104 things like sound, video, and graphics (the digital kind), and less about
105 print media. sys-print implies the system-level connections that a printer
106 has, and would be a good fit for all of the printer driver packages, but not
107 as good a fit for things like net-print/poster.
108
109 Also, the HOMEPAGE for foo2zjs is dead and up for sale. That needs to be
110 changed to:
111 https://github.com/koenkooi/foo2zjs
114 Joshua Kinard
115 Gentoo/MIPS
116 kumba@g.o
117 rsa6144/5C63F4E3F5C6C943 2015-04-27
118 177C 1972 1FB8 F254 BAD0 3E72 5C63 F4E3 F5C6 C943
119
120 "The past tempts us, the present confuses us, the future frightens us. And
121 our lives slip away, moment by moment, lost in that vast, terrible in-between."
122
123 --Emperor Turhan, Centauri Republic