From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] Revisiting GLEP 81 (acct-*) policies (reviews, cross-distro syncing)
Date: Mon, 09 Dec 2019 08:17:56
1 Hello,
2
3 I think the policies proposed in GLEP 81 [1] were overenthusiastic
4 and they don't stand collision with sad Gentoo developer reality.
5 Instead of improving the quality of resulting packages, they rather
6 hamper their adoption and cause growing frustration.
7
8 The problems I see today are:
11 1. Mailing list reviews hamper the adoption of new user packages.
12
13 Firstly, there are a few developers who obstructively refuse to
14 communicate with others and especially to use the public mailing lists.
15 While this is a separate problem, and a problem that needs to be
16 resolved, this GLEP can't resolve it. Of course, there is no reason to
17 believe that removing review requirement will actually make them migrate
18 their packages but it's at least one obstacle out of the way.
19
20 Secondly, even developers capable of communication find the two stage
21 request-wait-commit workflow inconvenient. At any time, there are
22 at least a few requests waiting for being committed, possibly with
23 the developers forgetting about them.
26 2. Mailing list reviews don't serve their original purpose.
27
28 The original purpose of mailing list reviews was to verify that
29 the developers use new packages correctly. For example, Michael
30 Orlitzky has found a lot of unnecessary home directories specified.
31 Of course, that works only if people submit *ebuilds* for review.
32
33 However, at some points developers arbitrarily decided to send only
34 numbers for review. This defeats the purpose of the review in the first
35 place.
38 3. Cross-distro syncing has no purpose.
39
40 One of the original ideas was to reuse UID/GID numbers from other
41 distros when available to improve sync. However, given the collisions
42 between old Gentoo UIDs and other distros, other distros themselves,
43 non-overlapping user/group names, etc. there seems to be little reason
44 to actually do it. If we even managed some overlap, it would be minimal
45 and quasi-random.
46
47 While other distros provide a cheap way of choosing new UID/GID, it
48 doesn't seem that many people actually use it. Then we hit pretty
49 absurd situations when someone chooses one UID/GID, somebody else tells
50 him to use the one from other distro.
53 4. Assignment mechanism is not collision-prone.
54
55 The secondary goal of mailing list reviews is to prevent UID/GID
56 collisions. Sadly, it doesn't work there either. Sometimes two people
57 request the same UID/GID, and only sometimes somebody else notices.
58 In the end, people have hard time figuring out which number is the 'next
59 free', sometimes they discover the number's been taken when somebody
60 else commits it first.
63 All that considered, I'd like to open discussion how we could improve
64 things.
65
66 My proposal would be to:
67
68 a. split the UID/GID range into 'high' (app) and 'low' (system)
69 assignments, 'high' being >=100 and 'low' <100 (matching Apache suEXEC
70 defaults),
71
72 b. UIDs/GIDs in the 'high' range can be taken arbitrarily (recommending
73 taking highest free), while in the 'low' range must be approved by QA,
74
75 c. no review requirement for the 'high' range, just choose your UID/GID
76 straight of uid-gid.txt and commit it,
77
78 d. strong recommendation to use matching UID/GID for the same user/group
79 name.
80
81 WDYT?
84 [1] https://www.gentoo.org/glep/glep-0081.html