From: Patrick Lauer <patrick@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Attracting developers (Re: Packages up for grabs...)
Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2012 01:20:43
1 On 12/17/12 08:10, Michael Orlitzky wrote:
2 > On 12/16/12 14:04, Markos Chandras wrote:
3 >> On 16 December 2012 16:57, Michael Orlitzky <michael@××××××××.com> wrote:
4 >>> Inspired by the number of packages being unmaintained -- why not use
5 >>> some of that bug bounty money to fix up the recruitment documentation
6 >>
7 >> Recruitment documentatiob? What does that mean?
8 >>
9 >>> People still think of Gentoo as a ricer distro that's broken all
10 >>> the time, when in reality, it's one of the most stable.
11 >>
12 >> Well that's not entirely true but that's a different issue
15 > The first part is definitely true. The stable part is also true in my
16 > experience, all things considered. For an example, take the last "what's
17 > your favorite distro" post on Reddit (not exactly a representative
18 > sample, I know):
19 >
20 > http://www.reddit.com/r/linux/comments/14tpnt/of_all_the_distros_youve_ever_used_what_do_you/
21 >
22 > Top rated comment:
23 >
24 > "Tie between Arch and Gentoo. These are my "messing around" distros.
25 > Fun to install and tweak on older machines, but I don't know enough
26 > about them to use them full time. Plus, Gentoo breaks. A lot. Arch
27 > breaks much more often than Debian for me but much less than Gentoo."
28 >
29 > Further down:
30 >
31 > "Gentoo is not stable. Stop saying that."
32 >
33 > My experience mirrors Michael Mol's. Perception is bad. Reality not so much.
34
35 And then you look what people do to get to that conclusion ...
36
37 "I unmasked gcc-4.8, migrated back to glibc-2.5 so I could build
38 binaries for CentOS 5, and started from a sabayon install because it's
39 easier. My CFLAGS include make-faster things like -ffast-math and -O8"
40
41 Plus people don't look at warnings unless they are interactive prompts
42 that ask them so answer a question about the warning. So yeah, if you
43 hit things with a hammer they break. And we make it easy for people to
44 do that :)
45
46 On the other hand I could tell you about "Enterprise Distros" that patch
47 their gcc so badly that it is confused about its version, and many other
48 funny things.
49
50 Everything breaks at some point, I started using Gentoo because I was
51 able to fix that breakage, thus enabling me to use my computer instead
52 of just ranting about it. Internally, I think, we're doing ok, now we
53 just need to make our PR effective again (which has been an ongoing
54 project for half a decade ...)