From: Carsten Lohrke <carlo@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] overlay support current proposal?
Date: Sat, 25 Mar 2006 20:39:06
1 On Saturday 25 March 2006 19:50, Diego 'Flameeyes' Pettenò wrote:
2 > This is the same line of thinking that makes people use flash or wmv
3 > "because it's the silly Linux users that has to adapt, Windows works fine"
4 > and similar.
5
6 It's not. Darcs is not proprietary, so you can make it work if you want/need
7 it. And it's up to those who use a specific platform to make it flourish, but
8 holding us back to use something because of some specific platform having not
9 enough developers/users/steam to follow would be entirely stupid.
10
11 > > Thisis meant as a general remark, not especially regarding a distributed
12 > > vcs.
13 >
14 > In this particular case I'm asking for a solution that can accomodate more
15 > than just us. I'm positive that there are solutions as good as darcs that
16 > does not require Haskell, but of course if there's a killer requirement
17 > that makes darcs the only solution we'll work on make it available.
18
19 Once again, I did not say anything in favor of any vcs.
20
21 > Of course doing like people using Flash to write a website that could have
22 > been built using plain HTML and animated GIF images, and using darcs only
23 > because it was the first idea while there are good alternatives that works
24 > for more people would be something that will a) piss me off quite a bit
25 > because of the paradox said above b) make the whole project laughtable by
26 > other Free Software projects finding the above analogy...
27
28 The comparison to proprietary software is completely out of line.
31 Carsten