From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Portage Team Update
Date: Sun, 03 Sep 2006 20:59:41
1 Alec Warner <antarus@g.o> posted 44FAFCAF.8010108@g.o,
2 excerpted below, on Sun, 03 Sep 2006 12:02:55 -0400:
3
4 > I asked each member of the portage team (minus Marius, whom I did find
5 > on irc) what they were up to in terms of working on things. Zac
6 > informed me that 2.1.1 would be out of rc status on the 8th and that
7 > users could expect a few new features and many bugfixes.
8 >
9 > From the NEWS file in svn:
10 > * Profiles support use.force, package.use.force, and package.use.mask files.
11 > * New depclean algorithm is much safer than the old one.
12
13 I'm not sure who to credit but the emerge --newuse implementation is much
14 better now too, and catching many USE changes it previously missed. =8^)
15
16 That leads to my point, however, which is this, the first time after the
17 upgrade people run it, there's likely to be a rather larger list than
18 normal of packages to remerge due to the --newsuse changes catching all
19 those it didn't catch before! It's probably worthwhile to put this in the
20 NEWS list as well, and possibly put an ewarn in the merge for it as well.
21 It'd be nice to get coverage in GWN on it too, before it goes stable.
22 (Maybe it's already been covered, I must admit I'm a bit behind on my GWN
23 reading.)
24
25 I just know that longer list was a bit of an inconvenience for me due to
26 timing, but I'm on ~arch so I expect that sort of thing occasionally, and
27 I like the changes overall. It'd be nice to give stable a bit of warning,
28 tho. =8^)
33 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman
36 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list