From: AGottinger@t-online.de (Achim Gottinger)
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] new guides
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2001 00:46:59
1 Gontran wrote:
2 >
3 > Hi Achim, devers,
4 >
5 > I'm willing to sort through any docs you care to write and correct for
6 > English grammar and whatnot, I stand to learn something about the project that
7 > way.
8
9 Fine, thank you. I send you my docs at the end of the week.
10 >
11 > On another note ...
12 >
13 > Bled the ISO last night, hoping to boot the kernel on VIA board with Cyrix MII
14 > (via chipset: VT82C598MVP), grub popped up nicely (yea!), selected top option,
15 > got some proper looking boot messages then all kind of scrolling hex numbers
16 > and total lock.
17 >
18 > I understand that there's some issues with some via sets ... have a 486 with
19 > 32 Mb I'll try next, I'd give it a shot now, but it won't boot off the cdrom
20 > and I find myself without a working 3.5 floppy drive for bootdisk making.
21 > Any insights?
22
23 I send the whole last weekend on a rescue disk system and want to update
24 and rework
25 the whole boot concept on the next weekend.
26 In theory the latest iso should work on any >=i486 system, but it
27 doesn't.
28 I have tested it on a K62/VIA board here with success.
29 Yesterday I tried to boot the rescue system on a Compaq armada laptop
30 had it hangs after
32 I'm planning to boot the bootimage directly from the cd, becuase mkisofs
33 now allows the use of images other that fd for booting. If it works I
34 can add alot of different kernels to the image and there is no more need
35 to scan for the cdrom device and mount the iso image loopback.
36 This solution should work for you too.
37
38 Does your 486 cdrom allow boot off the cdrom?
39
40 achim~
43 > Gontran
44 >