From: "Chí-Thanh Christopher Nguyễn" <chithanh@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] Global USE=gui
Date: Thu, 09 Jun 2016 20:50:32
1 Michał Górny schrieb:
2 >>
3 >>> 2. Packages use REQUIRED_USE to force an appropriate choice.
4 >>
5 >> That would be a policy violation. Packages should pick a reasonable
6 >> default if flags are conflicting, but not force users to micro-manage
7 >> their flags.
8 >
9 > Who did establish that *idiotic* policy and why is he still
10 > a developer? The whole *point of USE Flags* is to let people
11 > micro-manage stuff. Picking up a random default makes flags
12 > meaningless, confusing and makes it impossible to establish
13 > appropriate USE dependencies.
14
15 I assume "micro-manage" means users maintaining extensive lists of
16 per-package flags in package.use, which I agree with ulm is to be avoided.
17
18 Setting the USE flags once in make.conf would not qualify as micro-managing
19 in my opinion.
20
21 There is an exception though, in cases where this breaks reverse USE
22 dependencies, it may be allowed and necessary to use REQUIRED_USE[0].
25 Best regards,
26 Chí-Thanh Christopher Nguyễn
27
28 [0]