From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Infra plans regarding $Id$ - official answer...
Date: Sun, 16 Aug 2015 23:43:16
1 On Sun, Aug 16, 2015 at 2:12 PM, Robin H. Johnson <robbat2@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > Ebuild:
4 > - User copies .ebuild with expanded $Id$ to /usr/local/portage/...
5 > - User modifies local ebuild copy
6 > - User submits changed ebuild to bugzilla
7 > - Developer uses Header/Id to figure out what to base a diff on for
8 > merging.
9
10 I guess I could see it being useful for quickly spotting what the user
11 changed and applying it to the latest release, rather than carefully
12 checking for backdoors or trying to find the right changes in a
13 mismatched diff.
14
15 On the other hand, we could try to encourage users to use git
16 format-patch, which accomplishes the same thing in a nicer way (if
17 they're using git).
18
19 I do see the potential use of it. I am not really sure how much use
20 it will get though.
23 > Non-ebuild
24 > - Package installs /etc/init.d/foobar, with some bug
25 > - User reports it is buggy
26 > - User modifies it to temporarily work around the bug
27 > - User submits modified version back
28 > - Developer asks what the original version was if it didn't have some
29 > useful marker in the file.
30
31 I thought we were only expanding this on ebuilds. We need to be
32 really cafeful about this because we've already been bitten numerous
33 times with cvs keyword expansion issues, because...
34
35 > If we don't have a placeholder for where to inject it, how do we know
36 > where it's safe to inject?
37
38 ... if you're not limiting this to */*/*.ebuild then how do you know
39 where it is safe to expand?
42 Rich