From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: Jon Portnoy <avenj@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: Niches and new developers (especially xbox)
Date: Mon, 24 May 2004 18:19:23
1 On Mon, 2004-05-24 at 13:48, Jon Portnoy wrote:
2 > I'm looking for comments on what, exactly, constitutes a platform worth
3 > recruiting developers for. I like to be extremely careful when selecting
4 > new developers both to keep the bar set high for developer status and
5 > for security reasons (every new account is a potential attack vector,
6 > especially when you consider that a developer's box could be compromised
7 > and used to get in), so I'm very inclined to reject requests for new
8 > developers who will only be working on a very small niche like XBox
9 > support (especially when it's really just embedded x86 and it seems
10 > like there wouldn't be too much maintainance work involved). I would
11 > also be inclined to reject developers for, say, m68k.
12 >
13 > What do you guys think?
14
15 Personally, I see no reason at all to recruit developers for the Xbox.
16 There really is not enough difference between it and a regular PC to
17 require a "port" be made. The most I would expect to see would be an
18 xbox profile, since the only difference would be that it would require a
19 few specialized ebuilds that only affect that platform. A good example
20 would be the xbox-sources that would be needed.
21
22 What would really be nice would be to simply use a stackable profile for
23 xbox, once that is working in portage.
26 Chris Gianelloni
27 Developer
28 Games/LiveCD Teams
29 Gentoo Linux