From: John Stalker <stalker@××××××××××××××.EDU>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Secure Gentoo - OO-ebuilds
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2002 07:57:41
1 Damon M. Conway:
2 Since eclasses are associated with a learning curve, would it not be
3 preferrable to recast the whole inheritance thing in a proper
4 object-oriented language and rather build a support framework for it there?
5
6 Karl Trygve Kalleberg:
7 hmm using scheme sounds very appealing, but the problem is that
8 many of us have an unnatural fear of parenthesises... By using
9 OO portage would be indeed more powerful and it would make it possible
10 for a user to override doman if he wishes so easily, or to add a hook
11 procedure that is run whenever src_compile is ready...
12
13 Me:
14 I think we'd better keep portage in bash (or rather what appears
15 to be bash). We also need to keep it fairly simple. Otherwise we
16 lose two important resources: (1) users contributing ebuilds rather
17 than just installing tarballs on their own systems and (2) users
18 making a legitimate attempt to diagnose bugs in an ebuild rather
19 than just filing bug reports like "emerge failed." I don't see
20 a problem in adding hooks. One can have emerge source config
21 files, if present, at various points AFTER sourcing the ebuild
22 but BEFORE calling functions and then call before_compile,
23 after_compile, etc. The advantage of something like that is that
24 it is pretty much invisible. If you want you use the hooks,
25 override some defaults, etc. and you don't need to bother the
26 ebuild writer or users who are happy to accept the defaults.
29 John Stalker
30 Department of Mathematics
31 Princeton University
32 (609)258-6469