From: Aron Griffis <agriffis@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] rlogin & telnet
Date: Sun, 20 Jan 2002 17:33:31
1 Hello Developers,
2
3 I'm planning to add xinetd snippets for rlogind and telnetd into the
4 netkit ebuilds. These will install into /etc/xinetd.d, similar to the
5 snippets which already install there. This seems appropriate to me for
6 a couple reasons:
7
8 (1) xinetd has external connections disabled by default in
9 /etc/xinetd.conf. Therefore this addition doesn't open up security
10 holes by default. The system administrator still needs to change
11 /etc/xinetd.conf (or the appropriate snippet) to allow network
12 connections to these daemons.
13
14 (2) xinetd is further disabled by default since it requires the
15 administrator to inentionally "rc-update add xinetd default".
16
17 (3) Considering the protection inherent in the system provided by the
18 policies in (1) and (2), it seems amiss to not supply working
19 snippets in /etc/xinetd.d for these daemons. Additionally,
20 netkit-rsh and netkit-telnet don't install by default, so I think
21 all the bases are covered.
22
23 I'll make these changes in the next 24 hours or so unless there is
24 a reasonable objection.
25
26 Aron