From: Jeroen Roovers <jer@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC GLEP 1005: Package Tags
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2014 00:55:39
1 On Sun, 23 Mar 2014 16:03:38 +0100
2 Alexander Berntsen <bernalex@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > On 23/03/14 15:46, Jeroen Roovers wrote:
5 > > "This GLEP author would love to blight categories out of gentoo
6 > > history as a giant mistake."
7
8 That's not what I wrote. It's a quotation.
9
10 > It does not matter. Just remove that line. It is irrelevant.
11
12 The point in asking why it's there was to establish why the GLEP as a
13 whole is relevant. In other words: it would be trivial[1] yet
14 pains-taking[2] to establish an alternative means to address the package
15 manager to package targets, but why would we want to do it?
16
17 Examples of where atoms fail and where tags do better could enlighten
18 us.
21 jer
24 [1] Set up a PM wrapper that translates tags into atoms.
25 [2] Set up a database of such translations, with a really easy
26 fail-over to ordinary atoms where the database is incomplete.