From: Matti Bickel <mabi@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] FYI: Moving packages from dev-php5 to dev-php
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2011 21:39:53
1 Hi all,
2
3 this is a quick note that the php team (well, Ole and me) has decided to
4 kill of the dev-php5 category.
5 We think it's confusing and the distinction of which packages go where
6 isn't as clear as it should be. I find myself regularly looking in
7 dev-php instead of dev-php5.
8 As php extensions (which should be in dev-php5 now) may now break on
9 minor versions changes of php, the dev-php5 name is not as appropiate as
10 it was with php4 still around.
11
12 So we're going to remove it.
13
14 This will not be an overnight change. We intend to move packages from
15 dev-php5 to dev-php starting this weekend (29./30.1.) and be finished
16 sometime next month. Packages pending a revision or version bump will go
17 first.
18
19 You can post all issues (if any) to our tracker bug #324665.
20
21 Any advice and feedback welcome.
22
23 EOM