From: "Anthony G. Basile" <blueness@g.o>
To: Gentoo Development <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>, gentoo-embedded@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] RFC: migration from uclibc to uclibc-ng
Date: Sat, 16 Jul 2016 17:02:58
1 Hi everyone,
2
3 Most of you know that uclibc upstream is pretty much dead. There hasn't
4 been a official release since 2012 and there hasn't been a commit to
5 their master branch for over a year. The situation has become
6 impossible since important fixes really can't be backported without
7 layers of intermediated fixes being backported first. This has lead to
8 a fork at http://uclibc-ng.org/ which is actively maintained and has all
9 of the fixes we need in the latest release.
10
11 Since I don't want to just give up on Gentoo + uclibc, I'm going to
12 migrate to uclibc-ng. (Parenthetically let me add that I think the real
13 future of embedded will be musl, but still I don't want to just give up
14 on uclibc.)
15
16 After migrating, I will pretty much abandon uclibc itself and continue
17 exclusively with uclibc-ng. The supported arches are and will continue
18 to be amd64, armv7a (hard/soft float), mips32r2 (big endian), mipsel3
19 (little endian), ppc and i686. The process will be as follows:
20
21 1. Build experimental stage3's with customize /etc/portage. This is
22 just for testing since the final stage3's should not have anything in
23 /etc/portage. This must be completed for all arches before the next step.
24
25 2. Migrate the customized /etc/portage to profiles/default/linux/uclibc
26 for all arches, and switch the priority in virtual/libc/libc-0.ebuild.
27 Currently it reads:
28
29 elibc_uclibc? ( || ( sys-libs/uclibc sys-libs/uclibc-ng ) )
32 3. Update https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Project:Hardened_uClibc with
33 instructions on how to upgrade.
34
35 4. Start pushing out uclibc-ng base stages
36 https://www.gentoo.org/downloads/ for amd64 and i686.
37
38 I'm at step 1 for amd64 and i686.
39
40 I welcome comment on any of the above.
43 Anthony G. Basile, Ph.D.
44 Gentoo Linux Developer [Hardened]
45 E-Mail : blueness@g.o
46 GnuPG FP : 1FED FAD9 D82C 52A5 3BAB DC79 9384 FA6E F52D 4BBA
47 GnuPG ID : F52D4BBA