From: Joost Roeleveld <joost@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] udev and /usr
Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2011 20:42:48
1 On Thursday, September 15, 2011 02:29:20 PM Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Thu, Sep 15, 2011 at 11:07 AM, Zac Medico <zmedico@g.o> wrote:
3 > > On 09/15/2011 07:33 AM, Joost Roeleveld wrote:
4 > > > The use for an initrd/initramfs/... will create an additional layer
5 > > > of
6 > > > complexity a lot of us users are not really waiting for, especially
7 > > > as we>
8 > > are
9 > >
10 > > > not seeing any issues with our current systems.
11 > >
12 > > Like it or not, it's the simplest possible solution if you want separate
13 > > /usr. The plan is to provide a minimal initramfs that won't contain any
14 > > modules, so it won't have to be rebuilt for each kernel. See the "/usr
15 >
16 > > vs. initramfs redux" thread:
17 > It should be noted that the alternative is to use a more full-featured
18 > initramfs like dracut, which will also be updated to support mounting /usr
19 > (it already parses /etc/fstab to remount root anyway).
20 >
21 > The minimal initramfs will not contain mdadm or lvm tools, so it is
22 > basically suitable for booting systems that don't currently require an
23 > initramfs. Of course, something like dracut is more likely to require you
24 > to rebuild the initramfs every time you update your kernel, and won't simply
25 > be a static image like the simplified one.
26 >
27 > The simplified initramfs could be compiled into the kernel as Zac suggests
28 > (this is probably the most foolproof method), or it could be loaded from
29 > /boot using the appropriate grub settings.
30
31 Is there an option in Grub to add a "default" initramfs that is used for all
32 boot-options that can be overriden per boot-set?
33
34 In other words, if I don't specify an initramfs for a kernel, that this
35 default is then automatically applied?
36 And will this then also work when using Xen where the kernel is already passed
37 as a module?
38
39 > Note that dracut does drop you to a shell if it fails (this is
40 > configurable), but by default this shell is dash, not bash. No doubt it
41 > would work fine either way, but bash is likely to be a little slower. I
42 > don't think RAM use is likely to be a problem - it should be completely
43 > de-allocated before init runs.
44
45 It is my understanding all the options need to be specified every time dracut
46 is run to create an initramfs. If this becomes mandatory, will this be added
47 to the "make" script of the kernel-sources and as such, make this more
48 specific?
49
50 Another issue arrises where some of the tools are updated that are also in the
51 initramfs. Will we then still need to remember to also update the initramfs if
52 these are needed?
53
54 My server currently uses mdadm raid1 for /, /boot and swap and raid1+lvm for
55 the rest. This works without the need of an initramfs.
56
57 Will this still work? Or will I need to be using dracut instead?
58
59 Please note, I'm not the only one using this option as it was taking directly
60 from the Gentoo guides:
61 http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/gentoo-x86+raid+lvm2-quickinstall.xml
64 Joost