From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] So now that we have --quiet-build as default, can we talk about a forced LC_ALL=C again?
Date: Sun, 04 Dec 2011 12:08:59
1 2011/12/4 Chí-Thanh Christopher Nguyễn <chithanh@g.o>:
2 > I too think it is sufficient to have
3 > LC_MESSAGES=C
4 > in the default make.conf (or somewhere else where the user can easily
5 > change it), with a comment to leave it like this for build.log when
6 > reporting bugs.
7
8 ++
9
10 Or if that goes too far have it commented out but still in the file -
11 so that users can just remove one character to implement it. This
12 would need to be accompanied by instructions in Bugzilla so that the
13 wranglers don't need to post them over and over again.
14
15 Users should be able to work in their native languages on their own
16 PCs (Gentoo is about choice) - the key is just to try to prevent these
17 kinds of issues in the first place. We already have notes about
18 attaching build.log - all we need to do is include the words "with
19 LC_MESSAGES=C to ensure logs are in English" in the note.
20
21 Rich