From: AGottinger@t-online.de (Achim Gottinger)
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Long Time No See
Date: Thu, 05 Apr 2001 12:50:10
1 "Jerry A!" wrote:
2 >
3 > On Thu, Apr 05, 2001 at 08:44:34PM +0200, Achim Gottinger wrote:
4 > : Ok, build.tbz2 contains
5 > : glibc-2.2.2/gcc-2.95.3/binutils-2.10.91.0.2/spython/portage and
6 > : some other packages that are required for a compile environment.
7 > : It requires 55MB at the moment. The idea is to unpack it to a new
8 > : partition or a subdir. Then you mount your portage tree on that
9 > : locations usr/portage dir (hope you have the portage tree on a
10 > : separate partition). Then you can edit the make.conf settings and
11 > : chroot to the build environment. Now you can start building everything
12 > : from scratch. First you must merge gettext which is required for
13 > : native language support by the following packages. Next you can build
14 > : and merge binutils and gcc for your host settings. Now you can build
15 > : and merge glibc. After that you must merge flex because the package in
16 > : the build system does not contains libfl and some headers. Since there
17 > : are no other libs in the build tarball as the ones from glibc and flex
18 > : you can now be sure that everything is linked agains the new build
19 > : libs.
20 > :
21 > : But in your situation it may cause problems that you do not use
22 > : glibc-2.2.2 (what glibc are you using?)
23 >
24 > I was planning on wiping the box and reinstalling from scratch. I would
25 > just like to make sure that after a fresh install I can rebuild
26 > *everything* with my particular preferences. I was thinking of doing a
27 > chicken-egg bootstrap (like so):
28 >
29 > edit make.conf
30 > rebuild/reinstall gcc
31 > rebuild/reinstall glibc and binutils
32 > rebuild/reinstall everything else
33 >
34 > The only problems I see with this setup are how to get glibc and
35 > binutils installed. I figure I can just create packages and drop them
36 > on top of what's currently there (the contents will be the same, so I
37 > don't see a conflict).
38 You can use ebuild in the same way in the build env as on your running
39 system. If you have enoght space
40 you can build and merge all packages you have currently installed with
41 the actuall versions to the build-env and copy that over or you can make
42 packages maybe you can even use /usr/portage/tmp as your portage
43 temporary dir so you can build chrooted and merge on the running
44 system..
45
46 But I'm wondering if there are cleaner/nicer
47 > ways to acheive my goals.
48
49 Any ideas? I'm currently happy with the fact that I can change host
50 settings and glibc in one step. Why don't you merge everything you have
51 currently installed with the most actual version in/on the build-env and
52 use this as your new runtime partition?
53
54 achim
57 > But it seems like it'll be cleaner to just chroot and make a new
58 > build.tbz2 and drop that on top of everything else. Am I mistaken in
59 > this assessment?
60 >
61 > --Jerry
62 >
63 > name: Jerry Alexandratos || Open-Source software isn't a
64 > phone: 703.599.6023 || matter of life or death...
65 > email: jerry@×××××××.org || ...It's much more important
66 > || than that!
69 > gentoo-dev mailing list
70 > gentoo-dev@g.o