From: Daniel Drake <dsd@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: 2.6.18 going stable in 1 week
Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2006 18:54:59
1 Christian Faulhammer wrote:
2 > Announce it here (or -core) which needs a fix and then just commit the
3 > fix if it is trivial and there has been no reaction.
4
5 I think you didn't grasp the problem exactly.
6
7 There are a large number of packages which build against the kernel and
8 do not get much attention from their maintainers. To avoid too many
9 sharp objects coming in my direction when a new kernel goes stable, I
10 spend a lot of time providing fixes for these packages.
11
12 The problem is that this (i.e. producing the fixes) is a big waste of
13 time on my part, I'd rather work on real kernel stuff which is lagging
14 behind.
15
16 Daniel
17 --